Degrees Minutes Seconds to Decimal Degrees Converter
Tested with Safari, Firefox and Opera on Mac OS X. According to Browsershots, the page loads and appears to work with Internet Explorer (versions 5.5 to 8.0), Firefox, Opera and Safari on Windows.
Click on the example coordinates below to see the converter in action:
- The converter starts interpreting your input as you type.
- Any non-numeric characters can act as a separator or delimiter, even spaces.
- Any input before the numbers is ignored, with degrees limited to three digits.
- Required input: degrees, minutes, seconds and compass direction.
- A non-numeric delimiter or space is required after the seconds value (i.e. before the direction).
The validation of the numbers is not complete, so more than 59 minutes/seconds is allowed.
- Decimal points are not supported in the input.
Any input after the direction (N/S/E/W) is ignored.
- The direction (N/S/E/W) terminates input, and must be the initial or full name (e.g. N or north).
- Coordinate can be cut and paste from web pages into the input field.
- Coordinate can be passed to the page via the url, e.g. DegreesMinutesSeconds.html?30 40 50 S .
- Allow input of just degrees, minutes and direction.
- Allow decimal points in the seconds value, or minutes if omitting seconds.
- Convert from decimal degrees back to degrees, minutes, seconds.