Postings to the B-List.
Subject: B-List: True Hairy Tales
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 07:40:36 +0930
1. "Boy suspended from school over braided hair"
< http://web.orange.co.uk/news/story/sm_783125.html >
Braid it like Beckham?
2. "Californian man locked up over hair cutting spree"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s825421.htm >
3. "Bad hair day for inmate as wardens spy cash stash"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s833167.htm >
4. "Woman awarded compensation for bad hairdo"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_769281.html >
5. "Man fired over pony-tail attack"
< http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=528932 >
6. "Indian policemen uses ponytail to tow bus"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_766624.html >
7. "Mets' Rey Sanchez denies he had clubhouse haircut during game"
< http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/05/06/81083-ap.html >
8. "Wacky World: The Bad Hair Day Parade: 27-02-2003"
< http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/030227/318/du7te.html >
Subject: B-List: Zombo.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:02:57 +0930
Welcome to Zombo.com
< http://www.zombo.com/ >
A bit of silliness for the middle of the week. Requires Flash.
I don't know if anything else happens after the endless welcome
Subject: B-List: Some Troublesome Kids
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:49:39 +0930
1. "Toddler twins go on scribbling rampage"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s839864.htm >
2. "Children stole playground"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_774959.html >
3. "Twin teens terrorise town"
< http://www.expatica.com/germany.asp?pad=190,205,&item_id=31140 >
4. "Motorway brick monsters"
< http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12331812,00.html >
5. "Youths scramble after giant egg fight"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s862624.htm >
6. "Boy, 6, takes car for a drive"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_781796.html >
7. "Student fined for 'apple cannon'"
< http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6226293%5E13762,00.html >
8. "Kid for sale: $8 or best offer"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s851204.htm >
Subject: B-List: Stuck in a Moment?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:29:37 +0930
1. "German gets stuck in folding sofa bed"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s816362.htm >
2. "Man glues hand to Inland Revenue desk"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_783482.html >
3. "Teen prisoner adds to woes by getting arm stuck in toilet"
< http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030606toiletreg3p3.asp >
4. "Firefighters free woman's hand in the pan"
< http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s809465.htm >
5. "Woman needs oxygen after getting finger stuck down sink unit"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_775702.html >
6. "Man gets fork stuck in throat - twice"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_757297.html >
7. "Man found sleeping in laundromat dryer"
< http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/03/20/47432-ap.html >
8. "BMW glitch locks Thai minister in"
< http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/systems/0,39001153,39130270,00.htm >
9. "Woman hurt by car wash"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_787879.html >
Subject: B-List: Google Fight
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:20:51 +0930
< http://www.googlefight.com/ >
Enter two opposing keywords and see which has the higher hit-count on Google.
Examples: love vs hate, television vs radio, Madonna vs Britney Spears,
Letterman vs Leno, King Kong vs Godzilla.
* Hall of Fame: The best fights suggested by visitors
< http://google-fight.com/cgi-bin/compare.pl?palmares=1&langue=us >
* The Classics
< http://www.googlefight.com/classics.html >
* Funny Fights
< http://www.googlefight.com/funnyfights.html >
Some more examples:
* Good vs Evil
* Peace vs War
* Star Wars vs The Matrix
* U2 vs Radiohead
* George Orwell vs William Shakespeare
* The Simpsons vs The Flintstones
* Paris vs London
Subject: B-List: Shop Till You Drop
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:09:57 +0930
1. "Why We Buy" [Book review]
< http://www.salon.com/books/review/1999/05/21/underhill/print.html >
Examines the sociology and psychology of the consumerist impulse.
2. "Frustrated shoppers turn to GPS"
< http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2440246a28,00.html >
3. "First public wireless 'hotspot' opens at Dubai shopping mall"
< http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/25002.html >
4. "Chinese store opens husbands centre"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_782928.html >
5. "Shoppers strip London store bare"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s841358.htm >
6. "Orchestra has shoppers dancing in aisles"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_769279.html >
7. "Meat hook artist leaves shopping crowds hanging"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s836241.htm >
8. "Roseanne, Ozzy collide"
< http://robots.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/02/28/showbuzz/index.html#1 >
9. "Supermarket traps shopper"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_788935.html >
10. "Whoever said shopping is fun?"
< http://newstribune.com/stories/050503/com_0505030045.asp >
A moving story about a woman shopping for clothes for her eldest daughter.
Subject: B-List: Post-Friday the 13th + Lucky Cats/Unlucky Dogs
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:19:29 +0930
1. "Friday 13th - unlucky for some"
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2987934.stm >
2. "It's Friday the 13th. Watch out for mirrors, ladders and black cats"
< http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/local/scn-gt-friday4jun13,0,614088.story >
3. "Black cats may be the more fortunate felines"
< http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993459 >
4. "German Shepherds 'are unluckiest dogs'"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_785755.html >
Subject: B-List: Alternative Olympic Events
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:02:24 +0930
The International Olympic Committee is busily cutting down the number
of events at upcoming Olympiads. Perhaps they are making room for
some new events? Some possibilities ...
1. "Triumph for Germans as English lose their marbles"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s835623.htm >
2. "Mud-caked competitors get down and dirty"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_734121.html >
3. "Truly 'mobile': Latvia hosts phone throwing championship"
< http://www.ndtv.com/andfinally/showandfinally.asp?id=1152 >
4. "Student becomes Paper, Scissors, Stone World Champion"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_761976.html >
5. "World champion liar spins steel wool tale"
< http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/weird_news/4847458.htm >
6. "British men claim first place in trolley skill"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s847071.htm >
7. "South African duo win extreme ironing photo contest"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_783502.html >
8. "Norwegians launch beauty contest for cows"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_738357.html >
Subject: B-List: "No Dress" Code?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:10:58 +0930
1. "Naked flight makes maiden journey"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_777340.html >
2. "Naked flight gives new meaning to landing strip"
< http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0508nakedflight08.html >
3. "Naked bouncers reduce violence"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_777337.html >
4. "Artist takes on vandals with 'nude' shutters"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_769010.html >
5. "Nude models at art college join union"
< http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/05/07/81790-ap.html >
6. "Games' streaker warned by judge"
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/manchester/3025035.stm >
7. "Bare Naked Burglar"
< http://www.kshb.com/kshb/home/article/0,1925,KSHB_9410_1990763,00.html >
8. "Police thwart nudist picnic in London"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s869539.htm >
Subject: B-List: "The Cog"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:40:46 +0930
Have you seen that amazing ad for the Honda Accord Euro, where car
parts are used to create a domino effect? The 1 minute version is
often shown on SBS between programs. The complete version goes for
85 different car parts were used, and 606 takes were needed to get
it right. Apparently the Yanks won't get to see it on TV because
the ad "doesn't say enough for U.S. viewers."
The Official Honda Accord Euro multimedia web page
< http://multimedia.honda-eu.com/accord/ >
Has links to high, medium and low quality versions of the full ad.
Download a zipped version of the clip (3.3 MB)
< http://multimedia.honda-eu.com/multimedia/video/clips/cars/thecog.zip >
"Advertising: For Want of a Nail, the Car Commercial Rocked"
< http://www.msnbc.com/news/929702.asp?0dm=W3ADN >
"Artists claim Honda copied their film in TV cog advert"
< http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/media/story.jsp?story=410170 >
Subject: B-List: The Very Model of a Modern Governor-General + June Follow-ups
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:41:18 +0930
1. The Very Model of a Modern Governor-General?
At my high school there was a Gilbert & Sullivan Society - I avoided
it like the plague. But somehow I'm reminded of a song with the line
"The Very Model of a Modern Major-General" (from Pirates of Penzance),
and the recent appointment of a former Major-General as Australia's
new Governor-General sprang to mind. I'm not claiming to be the first
to have thought up the phrase "The Very Model of a Modern GOVERNOR-
General", but I think it's rather appropriate given recent events.
In fact, after a quick googling, I've found that the phrase has been
used before. For example, a Canadian journalist rewrote the lyrics
of the G&S song to refer to the appointment of the new Canadian G-G
< http://www.lautens.com/arch45.html >
An interesting project would be to rewrite the lyrics in Australia's
Other uses of the phrase:
* Hillary's travel tips for PM: "The very model of a modern Governor-General"
< http://www.crikey.com.au/politics/2003/06/23/20030623hillary030623.html >
* A Yank in Oz (weblog)
< http://www.ravenna.com/~forbes/2003/05/ >
Contains a couple of posts providing a Yank's explanation of the role
of G-G and the recent crisis.
2. Follow-ups to June Postings
[Some Troublesome Kids]
* "Second driving offence for boy, 10"
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/2981066.stm >
[Stuck in a Moment?]
* "Police nab New York burglar stuck in chimney"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s890231.htm >
* "Burglar arrested after getting stuck in chimney" (different chimney)
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_793167.html >
* "German thief caught short"
< http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s889196.htm >
* "Pilot Calls Wife To Report He's Stuck In A Tree After Crashing"
< http://www.wftv.com/news/2292846/detail.html >
[Shop Till You Drop]
* "Natural born shoppers - and men"
< http://www.news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=655042003 >
[Alternative Olympic Events]
* "Toe wrestlers gather for World Championship"
< http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1056181505945B232&set_id=1 >
* "Eugene hosts huge ultimate Frisbee meet"
< http://www.tdn.com/articles/2003/06/22/oregon/news02.txt >
* "Mrs World crowned after rock climbing contest"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_793391.html >
["No Dress" Code]
* "X-ray vision shows air passengers naked"
< http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_794215.html >
* Australian Honda Accord Ad
< http://www.honda.com.au/accord/euro/the+cog/download+the+cog.htm >
The links I gave last week were for a different model to that advertised
in Australia, and have a slightly different ending. The link above is for
the local variation.