Pumpkin Patch Biscuits/Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups (220g) all-purpose flour (or atta wholemeal flour)
- ¼ cup (50g) packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or just a pinch if using olive oil spread (already contains salt)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- ½ cup (100g) plus 1 ½ teaspoons (20g) cold butter (divided), or olive oil spread
- 1 cup (200g) canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree (roasted pumpkin with some water)
- ¼ cup (70g) greek yoghurt
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger if using.
- Cut in ½ cup butter (or olive oil spread) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine pumpkin and yoghurt; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1 inch thickness; cut with a floured 2 ½ inch biscuit cutter. Place 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet. Alternatively, use a greased muffin tray to make muffins.
- Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown. If making muffins, bake at 180°C and remove when skewer comes out clean.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over biscuits or muffins.
- Serve warm.
based on: Pumpkin Patch Biscuits at Taste of Home