Morning Gloria Cookies/Muffins
- ⅔ cup (85g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (30g) atta or wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt, or just a pinch if using olive oil spread (already contains salt)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of allspice, or use equal portions of cinnamon and ground cloves, then add a pinch of nutmeg and mix well
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- ½ cup (50g) of oats
- ¼ cup (30g) of toasted chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup (20g) of shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (40g) of raisins (or sultanas)
- ½ cup (100g) of dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons (28g) of unsalted butter or olive oil spread
- ¼ cup (52g) of oil (canola or vegetable) or additional olive oil spread
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- ⅔ cup (70g) of grated carrots
- ¼ cup (35g) of shredded apples
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Line a sheet pan (or muffin tray) with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice. Add the oats, walnuts, coconut, and raisins. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dark brown sugar, oil and butter (or olive oil spread), and whisk until pale and creamy. Add the egg, vanilla, and maple syrup and mix until incorporated.
- Stir the shredded apple and grated carrot into the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold gently until the dry mixture is incorporated.
- At this point, you can chill dough in the refrigerator or bake immediately. Use an ice cream scoop to portion the batter (we use a scoop that's about 1⁄3 cup) and separate cookies a few inches apart on the sheet pan. Press the dough down gently to flatten and even out.
- Tip: Reserve some shredded carrot and toss in simple syrup to top on each cookie (or muffin).
- Bake at 170°C for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Edges should be golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
based on: Morning Gloria Cookies at Eater