Lemon Ricotta Cake
- 180g (¾ cup) butter, softened
- ½ to ¾ cup caster sugar
- (optional) ¼ cup polenta if less sugar is preferred
- zest from 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (or 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250g (1 cup) ricotta, strained
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Lightly grease and flour a 20cm spring-form pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar (plus polenta top-up) with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest, extract, egg yolks and ricotta cheese and beat until smooth.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt, and beat into the butter mixture just until combined.
- Wash your beaters well, and then beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter then spoon the batter into your prepared tin.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
(based on Lemon Ricotta Cake at Italian Food Forever)