Lemon, Polenta and Pistachio Cake
- ½ to ⅔ cup olive oil
- 150g caster sugar (or more for sweeter cake)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 100g ground almonds (lightly roasted)
- 70g ground pistachio (lightly roasted)
- 150g fine polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of ½ to 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (165°C if fan-forced). Grease and line a standard baking tin.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the olive oil and caster sugar until pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix in the greek yogurt.
- Add the ground almonds and ground pistachios and mix gently for a few seconds. Add the fine polenta, baking powder and salt and fold in gently.
- Add the zest of 2 lemons and juice of ½ to 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons total) and mix to just combine.
- Transfer mixture to the loaf tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted just comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from baking tin.
(based on Gluten-free Lemon, Polenta & Pistachio Cakes at The Brick Kitchen)