Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Yoghurt (Vegan option)
Makes 12 x 50g muffins.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (190g) + 1 tablespoon for coating blueberries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100g nuttelex (vegan) or butter or similar spread
- ½ cup caster sugar (100 grams)
- 1 large egg, room temperature OR a flax "egg" (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed/linseed plus 1 tablespoon water)
- 100g coconut yoghurt (vegan) or dairy-based yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 50g blueberries (drained if berries are in syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease 2x6-cup muffin trays.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl beat together caster sugar and nuttelex (or butter). Mix in egg (or substitute), lemon juice, yoghurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest until combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula, and mix until just combined.
- Toss the blueberries into some extra flour to loosely coat them, then mix into the batter until they're evenly distributed.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly between the muffin trays.
- If desired, press a few additional blueberries on top of each muffin (or a bit of blueberry jam if you prefer).
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes at 170°C to give the muffins a golden brown dome top (a skewer should come out clean).
- Let the muffins sit in the trays for 10 minutes to cool, then move them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
based on: Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Yogurt at Chelsweets