Italian Coconut Orange Cake (Vegan option)
Makes a small cake or 12 x 50g muffins.
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (135 grams) nuttelex (vegan) or butter or similar spread
- ½ cup (100 grams) raw caster sugar
- zest of one orange
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temperature OR three flax "eggs" (3 tablespoons ground flaxseed/linseed plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 ¼ cups + 1 tablespoon (170 grams) cake / pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (20 grams) flaked coconut/mini chocolate chips or finely chopped almonds
- 125g coconut yoghurt (vegan) or dairy-based yoghurt
For optional chantilly cream topping:
- 1 cup whole / whipping cream (238 grams)
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- zest of ½ an orange
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (165°C for fan-forced oven). Grease and flour an 8 inch (20 cm) cake pan or 2x6-cup muffin trays.
- In a large bowl cream together nuttelex (or butter), sugar, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, eggs and yolk (or vegan substitute), then beat for 2 to 3 minutes on low to medium speed.
- In a medium bowl sift together, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then stir in the coconut.
- Starting with the flour mixture beat half into egg mixture then half the yoghurt, then remaining flour and then remaining yogurt, beat on low to medium speed until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean.
- Let cool completely, dust with powdered sugar and serve with Chantilly Cream if desired.
based on: Italian Coconut Orange Cake at An Italian in my Kitchen