Carrot and Yoghurt Cake/Muffins
Makes a small cake or 12 muffins.
- 240g (about 3) carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 eggs (vegan alternative is 3 flax eggs, i.e. 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed/linseed plus 3 tablespoons water)
- ⅔ cup (120g) raw caster sugar (add more if you prefer)
- 50mL (40g) vegetable oil (e.g. canola oil)
- ½ cup (125g) yoghurt (use coconut yoghurt for vegan or dairy-free alternative)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- some lemon zest (optional)
- ⅔ cup (70g) almond meal
- 1 ¾ cups (225g) plain flour (use Type 00 for softer texture)
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- icing sugar (optional for sprinkling on top after baking)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 165°C fan-forced).
- If using flax "eggs", soak 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed in same amount of water for at least 15 minutes.
- Clean or peel carrots and grate them.
- Beat or whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl for about two minutes.
- Add grated carrots and remaining wet ingredients (vegetable oil, yoghurt, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and some lemon zest if desired) and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (sifted flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon if using).
- Add dry ingredients to the main mixture and mix well.
- Pour or spoon mixture into cake tin or muffin trays.
- Bake until a skewer comes out clean. Cake should take about 40 minutes. Muffins should take about 20 minutes.
based on: Carrot and Yogurt Cake at Cookist