Banana Polenta Loaf
- 250g dates (pitted)
- 200mL water (boiled)
- 2 bananas
- 100g pecans (and/or almonds or walnuts) 85g roughly chopped, the rest left whole
- 200g raisins/sultanas/cranberries in whatever combination you prefer
- 100g fine polenta
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 egg whites (vegan alternative is 2 flax eggs, i.e. 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed/linseed plus 2 tablespoons water)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Soak the polenta in water for 30 minutes. Drain and strain before including into mixture.
- If using flax "eggs", soak 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed in same amount of water for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the dates in a saucepan with the boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes until you almost have a syrup.
- Put the dates into a food processor, alongside the bananas and 100mL of date liquid and whizz until smooth.
- Mix the nuts, dried fruit, polenta, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the date and banana puree, and stir until combined.
- If using eggs, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the cake mix. Otherwise just add the vegan alternative.
- Tip the mixture into the tin and bake for about 1 hour.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes in the tin and wait until completely cool before cutting into slices.
based on: Banana Polenta Loaf Cake at Overcoming MS