Banana Bread with Blueberries
- 2 to 3 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 50g blueberries (or more if you prefer)
- 75g melted butter
- 100g (about 4 dollops) of Greek yoghurt
- ¾ cup (raw caster) sugar (vary to your preferred level of sweetness)
- 1 large egg, beaten OR flax "eggs" (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed/linseed and 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ginger and/or cinnamon to taste
- 1¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 165°C fan-forced), and butter a 4x8-inch loaf pan. Alternatively, butter three 6-muffin trays.
- If using, prepare 2 flax "eggs". Grind 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds/linseeds in a food processor or coffee grinder. Add two tablespoons of water, mix thoroughly and set aside for at least 15 minutes unitl a thick paste forms.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas. Depending on your preference, mash in some or all of the blueberries into the mixture. The remainder of the blueberries can be coated in flour and added into the mixture later (or to top muffins).
- Thoroughly mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in the sugar, greek yoghurt, beaten egg (or flax "eggs" if using), and vanilla extract. Mix in 1 cup of flour. Add milk to mixture. Add rest of flour.
- If using the loaf pan: Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 165°C, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Alternatively, if using the muffin trays: Spoon the batter evenly into your prepared muffin trays. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 165°C, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. Remove the banana bread from the pan (or trays).