Almond, Ricotta and Lemon Cake
- 200g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour (or equivalent additional almond meal for gluten-free)
- 150g ricotta
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (as preferred)
- 3 eggs, separated
- pinch of salt
- 100g butter, softened
- zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 tbsp almond flakes (optional topping)
- icing sugar (for dusting, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Lightly grease and flour a 20cm spring-form baking tin.
- Whip the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add the melted butter (at room temperature), the ground almonds, flour, the ricotta, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Whip the egg whites with the salt and gently incorporate them to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture on a greased baking tin and level it well with the spoon. Wet your almond flakes with little water to prevent them from burning in the oven and sprinkle them over the mixture.
- Bake at 160°C for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
(based on Almond, Ricotta and Lemon Cake gluten free at My Little Italian Kitchen)